How do I become a Volunteer at Aggieland Humane Society?
1. Fill out the appropriate Volunteer Application, including volunteer fee.
2. Sign up for and attend a one-hour Volunteer Orientation.
3. Start Volunteering!
*If you are needing to complete court-mandated community service, please see our Court Appointed Volunteer page.
Background Check Information for Prospective Volunteers
• AgHS will start conducting background checks for the March 27th orientation
• Volunteers will receive background check request upon registration
• The volunteer must initiate the background check in order to attend orientation. The status of the volunteer application will remain as pending until results are received.
• If a background check must be reviewed the volunteer will have 5 days to dispute information in the background check with Verified Volunteers.
• Volunteer fee will not be refunded if an application is denied based on background check.
• Volunteers will be ineligible to enter the volunteer program if a background check shows any history or violent crimes, animal abuse/neglect, theft, or drug-related charges (this includes paraphernalia charges). AgHS reserves the right to deny eligibility to the volunteer program for any other criminal history not listed here.
What do volunteers do?
Volunteers help with animal socialization and training, special events, administrative tasks, and many other activities here at the shelter. They also have the opportunity to take classes and receive specialized training. The most important thing our volunteers do is have fun!
How I old do I have to be to volunteer?
We welcome volunteers between the ages of 9 and 15 to volunteer with their parent or guardian. Volunteers between the ages of 16 and 17 must attend orientation with a parent, but can then volunteer on their own. Volunteers over the age of 18 can volunteer with us after attending orientation.
Are there any requirements for active volunteers?
To remain active in our volunteer program Shelter Volunteers will have to complete 6 hours of service each month. Minors will be required to complete 3 hours per month. If you would like to work events only, you will be required to work at 3 events or event prep shifts each semester.
Why do I have to pay a fee?
This fee helps cover the cost of operating our volunteer program. This fee allows us to provide every volunteer with a t-shirt, online scheduling, and insurance. As long as you remain active, you will not have to repay this fee at any point during your service with us!
Do I need any training before I start volunteering?
Every volunteer is required to New Volunteer Orientation. Depending on your interests and departments you would like to work in, you may be required to attend Canine Enrichment Training, Feline Enrichment Training, or Team Lead Training.
What classes are available to volunteers?
We offer many optional classes to volunteers wanting to work in more specialized areas. These include Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced Canine Obedience, Kitty Kindergarten, and Adoption Counseling, just to name a few!
When can I volunteer?
We have volunteer shifts available Monday-Friday between the hours of 7:00 am and 6:00 pm and on Saturday’s between 7:00 am and 3:00 pm. Volunteers can choose their own schedule and assignments.